Senior Scientist – Trait Development
Overall Job Purpose:
Our mission as a global animal livestock genetics leader is to be an innovative and preferred partner in emerging agriculture livestock technology focusing on animal health and welfare which provide benefits to farmers, consumers and the environment. As we continue to grow, a new Senior Scientist position is being offered to provide research leadership focused on genetic improvement in livestock using new breeding technologies. The candidate would have experience in livestock or model organisms and expected to further develop technologies including in vitro and animal-based screens and gene editing of mammalian cell cultures or zygotes for the discovery of beneficial traits in pigs and cows.
Education and experience:
- Advance Degree (PhD) in Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Virology, Veterinarian Science or relevant field.
- Minimum of 10 years post PhD experience leading scientists and developing research in academic or commercial environment focused on the study of infectious and zoonotic diseases or molecular mechanisms of health and disease in livestock or model mammal systems.
- Demonstrated experience in manipulation and analysis of gene expression in mammalian cell culture
- Proven records of success in relevant field (publications)
- An understanding of diseases associated with dairy, beef, or porcine
- Expression analysis in mammalian cells using qRT-PCR, Flowcytometry and protein immune-analysis
- Knowledge of all aspects mammalian tissue culture and preferred experience in culture-induced reprogramming, transcription factor-based reprogramming or chemical reprogramming
- DNA and RNA handling including extraction and analysis, PCR amplification, DNA cloning, and vector construction using bacterial or mammalian expression vectors
- Gene silencing in mammalian cells using either RNAi and/or gene editing
- Demonstrated ability to implement the research plans and achieve results
- Very much a team player who is skilled in people relationships have a positive attitude towards others
- SScientist would work with Trait Development Director to establish research directions and project goals that contribute development of novel traits in support of the Genus bovine and porcine businesses.
- SScientist would provide solutions and execute experiments for the discovery of genes important to animal health to combat diseases and improve performance necessary to reduce morbidly or mortality in livestock.
- The SScientist would oversee the execution of experiments necessary to meet established Trait Development goals focused on Disease Resistance and accelerate trait integration. Modifies experimental approach or plan as required to meet project objectives and timelines.
- Interprets, summarizes data and develops new experiments based on results and shares results across Research organization.
- Provides solutions to researchers within and across projects by identifying problems and opportunities impacting goals.
- Working with Legal team, contribute to the timely submission and development of intellectual property
- Remain current on new technology by reviewing literature, participating in professional meetings and career development activities and encouraging others to bring information into research activities.
Capabilities and behaviors:
- Reflects Genus R&D’s aim of having the strongest talent in the industry
- Lives and displays the Genus Values and behaviors at all times in day to day work
- Maintains professional verbal and written communications with co-workers, internal and external customers, and vendors at all times
- Demonstrated excellence in communication and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to leverage knowledge and positively influence others to achieve group goals
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and instinctively acknowledge work done by team members
- Flexible with job responsibilities and consistently strives to be an effective team member
- Strives to advance skills and displays a willingness to accept future development
- Actively participates in Company training opportunities to further develop applicable skills
- Gains a thorough understanding of the Company’s business and the department’s role within the company
Please fill out the form below and attach any relevant documents at the end.