Overall Responsibilities: Under the direction of the Lead Researcher this position will be responsible for all the procedures involved in the bovine in vitro embryo production, including oocyte selection, semen preparation and evaluation, in vitro fertilization, embryo culture and classification and cryopreservation. This position will aid in the conduction of all the tests necessary for the completion of the R&D and PD projects, results collection and analysis. This position will be expected to coordinate the training of lab techs and lab assistants. Will help the Lead Researcher providing support to all team members and ensuring responsibilities are completed within production timelines.
- Coordination of daily routine lab procedures including but not limited to maturation of bovine oocytes, semen thawing and preparation, semen analysis, in vitro fertilization, in vitro culture of embryos, cryopreservation of bovine embryos, loading embryos in straws for embryo transfer and media preparation.
- Conduct embryo grading, staging and loading in straws for embryo transfer procedure.
- Be responsible for embryo cryopreservation and thawing procedures.
- Conduct and oversee the calibration and maintenance of key lab equipment such as incubators, autoclave, lab hoods, centrifuge, nitrogen tanks and microscopes.
- Execute analysis of results and troubleshooting.
- Follow established safety regulations.
Qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Veterinary Medicine, Animal Science, Biology, Biomedicine or related field required.
- In-depth technical and scientific knowledge on bovine IVF and embryology required.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience working with bovine oocytes and embryos.
- Previous experience in collection of scientific data and generation of scientific reports, presentation is highly desired.
- Experience with oocyte and embryo micromanipulation.
- Experience with fluorescence microscopy preferred.
Capabilities and behaviors:
- Reflects Genus R&D’s aim of having the strongest talent in the industry
- Lives and displays the Genus ABS Values and behaviors at all times in day to day work.
- Maintains professional verbal and written communications with co-workers, internal and external customers, and vendors at all times.
- Flexible with job responsibilities and consistently strives to be an effective team member.
- Strives to advance skills and displays a willingness to accept future development.
- Actively participates in Company training opportunities to further develop applicable skills.
- Gains a thorough understanding of the Company’s business and the department’s role within the company.
- Participate in the evaluation of key performance indicators, actively seek opportunities for improvement of embryo production processes.
- Collaborate with team members to identify production gaps and participate in the testing of recommended solutions.
- Assist with the training of new employees and ensure compliance with standard operation procedures.
- Ability to work varied shifts including weekends and holidays depending on project demands.
- Ability to follow detailed safety protocols as required during daily exposure to needles or other sharp objects, as well as, bodily fluids of beef and dairy cattle.
- Ability to sit up to six (6) hours, utilizing hands and fingers to complete repetitive motions.
- Exceptional follow-through consistently demonstrating ability to organize and prioritize work for timely completion.
- Excellent eye-hand coordination, with the visual ability to correctly identify and distinguish objects of various size, color and depth perception near and far away.
- Demonstration of a depth of knowledge of SOPS, application of principles, concepts, production practices and standards.
- Team-centric, detail-orientated, and highly organized.
- Solution-driven and determined to achieve production goals.
- Ability to work under close supervision from the Lead Researcher.
- Solves moderate and complex routine problems by following established policies and SOPS and referring to the Lead Researcher for guidance.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to interact with diverse cultures.
Who Are We?
ABS Global is a market leader in dairy and beef genetics and is uniquely positioned as a global player, with a dedicated, multi-species research and development (R&D) function and an international distribution network. We breed and distribute the genes of the world’s best bulls, scientifically selecting livestock whose offspring is designed to increase the profitability of our customers, who are some of the world’s biggest farmers and food producers
Our vision is clear: Pioneering animal genetic improvement to help nourish the world.
What Can We Offer You?
At Genus, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package, together with the opportunities that come with working for a global organization. We offer an environment where personal growth in encouraged.
If you are interested in playing a key role for one of the most innovative and highly regarded companies in our industry, this is the business for you.
Please fill out the form below and attach any relevant documents at the end.