R&D Embryo Technician
Overall Responsibilities: Under the direction of the Embryologist this position will be responsible for all routine lab procedures including material cleaning and sterilization, equipment calibration and control the stock of supplies needed for IVF. This position will also contribute to the successful completion of semen preparation, in vitro fertilization, and embryo culture and cryopreservation protocols. In addition, it will be responsible for ovary collection in the slaughterhouse, ovary aspiration and oocyte selection.
- Calibration and maintenance of key lab equipment such as incubators, autoclave, lab hoods, centrifuge, nitrogen tanks and microscopes.
- Accurately capture and relay all relevant data collection during routine laboratory procedures into relevant databases/notebooks.
- Assist in daily routine lab procedures including but not limited to maturation of bovine oocytes, semen thawing and preparation, semen analysis, in vitro fertilization, in vitro culture of embryos, embryo grading and selection, and embryo cryopreservation.
- Shipment and reception of cryopreserved material.
- Preparation of culture medium and culture dishes used for IVF.
- Maintain sanitation and sterilization protocol for all materials and equipment used for embryo production.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Animal Science, Biology or related field required.
- Technical knowledge on in vitro embryo production.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience working with in vitro embryo production.
- Laboratory-related certification/degree preferred.
- Previous experience working for a company in the biotechnology and/or agriculture sector preferred.
Capabilities and behaviors:
- Reflects Genus R&D’s aim of having the strongest talent in the industry
- Lives and displays the Genus ABS Values and behaviors at all times in day to day work.
- Maintains professional verbal and written communications with co-workers, internal and external customers, and vendors at all times.
- Flexible with job responsibilities and consistently strives to be an effective team member.
- Strives to advance skills and displays a willingness to accept future development.
- Actively participates in Company training opportunities to further develop applicable skills.
- Gains a thorough understanding of the Company’s business and the department’s role within the company.
- Participate in the evaluation of key performance indicators, actively seek opportunities for improvement of embryo production processes.
- Collaborate with team members to identify production gaps and participate in the testing of recommended solutions.
- Have schedule flexibility and be able to work in different shifts and weekends when necessary.
- Ability to work under general supervision from the Embryologist.
- Ability to follow detailed safety protocols as required during daily exposure to needles or other sharp objects, as well as, bodily fluids of beef and dairy cattle.
- Ability to sit up to six (6) hours, utilizing hands and fingers to complete repetitive motions.
- Team-centric, detail-orientated, and highly organized.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to interact with diverse cultures.
Who Are We?
ABS Global is a market leader in dairy and beef genetics and is uniquely positioned as a global player, with a dedicated, multi-species research and development (R&D) function and an international distribution network. We breed and distribute the genes of the world’s best bulls, scientifically selecting livestock whose offspring is designed to increase the profitability of our customers, who are some of the world’s biggest farmers and food producers
Our vision is clear: Pioneering animal genetic improvement to help nourish the world.
What Can We Offer You?
At Genus, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package, together with the opportunities that come with working for a global organization. We offer an environment where personal growth in encouraged.
If you are interested in playing a key role for one of the most innovative and highly regarded companies in our industry, this is the business for you.
Please fill out the form below and attach any relevant documents at the end.