The Associate Scientist (ASc) will perform molecular biology, cell biology, and biochemistry experiments directed towards gene editing for the purpose of improving livestock health by generating new disease resistant alleles in cattle and pigs. The ASc is expected to participate in a team that is collaborative, enthusiastic, and engaging. The candidate must be able to design, implement, and execute experiments in a timely manner.
- Work with a Trait Development Scientist to establish project goals consistent with gene editing and cell biology and molecular biology method improvements.
- Execute high quality biochemical, cell biology, and molecular biology experiments to meet established goals.
- Together with Trait Development Scientists, ASc will summarize and interpret data, share results across Trait Development team, and design new experiments based on results.
- Provide solutions to researchers within and across projects by identifying problems and opportunities impacting goals.
- Remain current on new technology by reviewing literature, participating in professional meetings and career development activities, and encouraging others to bring information into research activities.
- Maintain laboratory notebooks and record experiments in a timely fashion in accordance with laboratory notebook compliance guidelines.
- Control, maintain, and be accountable for research facilities, equipment, and other resources.
- Contribute to scientific publications and conferences.
- Implement and monitor safe working practices while adhering to and promoting Genus core values.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in genetics, molecular biology, cellular biology or other relevant discipline, with either 3-5 or 1-3 years of experience after graduation, respectively. Recent PhD graduates will also be considered.
- Demonstrated experience with all aspects of DNA handling including extraction and analysis, PCR amplification, DNA cloning, and vector construction using bacterial or mammalian expression vectors.
- Working knowledge of RNA biology, flow cytometry, and mammalian tissue culture preferred.
Capabilities and behaviors:
- Live and display the Genus values at all times in their day-to-day activities.
- Maintain professional verbal and written communications with co-workers, internal and external customers, and vendors at all times.
- Be flexible with respect to job responsibilities and consistently strive to be an effective team member.
- Strive to advance your skills and display a willingness to accept future development.
- Actively participate in company training opportunities to further develop skills applicable to the team.
- Gain an understanding of the company’s business and the team’s role within the company.
Who Are We?
ABS Global is a market leader in dairy and beef genetics and is uniquely positioned as a global player, with a dedicated, multi-species research and development (R&D) function and an international distribution network. We breed and distribute the genes of the world’s best bulls, scientifically selecting livestock whose offspring is designed to increase the profitability of our customers, who are some of the world’s biggest farmers and food producers
Our vision is clear: Pioneering animal genetic improvement to help nourish the world.
What Can We Offer You?
At Genus, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package, together with the opportunities that come with working for a global organization. We offer an environment where personal growth in encouraged.
If you are interested in playing a key role for one of the most innovative and highly regarded companies in our industry, this is the business for you.
Please fill out the form below and attach any relevant documents at the end.